Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Happy vs. Thankful -- REDUX


QuoteHappiness has nothing to do with your life's circumstances; it’s based on your ability to accept the things you are experiencing. – Nishan Panwar



PerspectiveMy level of acceptance depends on my happiness at that moment.  Have I eaten a meal?  Do I need to go to the bathroom?  Am I waiting for a NYC bus in January? 


Or does my level of happiness depend on my acceptance in that moment?  Can I network (or commiserate or just chat) with others after my meal or while waiting for the bus?  What is possible if I’m open?


Yes even if I have to pee … something incredible is possible!!



Accepting is a knowing that whatever comes, I will get through with flying colors.  It’s about bending and being ready for whatever comes my way. 



Have you ever been fired or laid off?  Was your next job more amazing than the previous one?  Or did you start a business that changed the world?  Or just changed YOUR world and YOUR way of thinking?  


When my father died, I realized my mother was my only living parent.  Previous to that, my relationship with her was fractured.  We had little in common.  Did I really want to hang out with her without Dad?!?!!!?? 

One Thanksgiving holiday, Mom and I were watching a comedy film on TV.  It was also one of my father’s favorite films of all time.  Previous to that, I didn't remember Mom EVER enjoying this film.  In fact, I remember her saying it was vulgar.  Now she was laughing so loud and long, she told me her stomach hurt.  In the past, I remember my father loving this comedy and he would laugh so loud and long his stomach would hurt.  My father was there with us watching.  

That’s the day that changed us both.  We started to talk.  Our journey to friendship and hilarity grows every day.



By the way, Mom is 86.  Yes she’s still a pistol!!  

Thank you Mom for showing me acceptance!   

PS >> Yes, I have thanked her in person. 


Call to ActionWhat do I continuously justify in my life today?  How am I feeling my way is the only way?  What can I turn over and become free of resentment or remorse or guilt?  Can I hear another point of view?  


No comments:

Post a Comment