Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Influence vs Suggestion



Quote:   We become that which has influenced us the most.  – Wilfred Peterson



Perspective:  I got a little arrogant when I read this quote.  I proudly hailed I am my own person – no reality TV show nor a soap opera nor a political party no social media influence me!  HA!!

Whenever I get that bombastic, I look for humility.  When I couldn’t find any humility, I looked up influence in the dictionary.  One definition is: 

The action or process of producing effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of another or others. 

 What has influenced me has changed over my adulthood.  Media, college, friends, family when I was in my 20s.  My husband (now my ex-husband), colleagues, family, friends, job, my manager in my 30s.  It took until I was 40+ to realize God (HP, the guy upstairs, etc) influences everything I do.  God is my foundation for everything.  My belief in God balances me, helps me show love to others, and has increased my faith.  

In coaching, we ask, “What is your ‘come from’ place”?  Is your ‘come from’ place:  jealousy, greed, procrastination, or fear?  Is your ‘come from’ place:  faith, love, being grateful, happiness, or generosity?  

Those “positive” characteristics are tough for me.  I’m a pessimist.  I’m used to looking on the dark side BEFORE the bright side.  Is it possible I could turn my thinking around 360 degrees?  What if it WAS possible?  What if it IS possible?  It is … I can … it does.  

Now my influence is strong and motivating and progressing me forward.  Thank you HP!!


Call to Action:  What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?  Get a full back tattoo?  Skydive from 5,000 feet?  Tell your partner you love them?  What was your thinking process before, during, immediately afterward?  Relive those moments before, during, and immediately afterward.  Now how do you feel?  What’s the next “crazy” thing you’re going to do???!?!?!    


Next Vlog and Google Hangout:  click the link below (or copy/paste in to your browser) for the invite to the next Vlog on Monday September 22 at 830 PM ET:  Spirit with a Bite Sept 22 Vlog 

2 comments:

  1. My main influence comes from within and if that is provided by a higher power i thank them giving me the power of positivity but it is up to me to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's often too easy to forget where our influences come from. I try to go inward and listen to my guides before making decisions both big or small.

    ReplyDelete